RIO DE JANEIRO — The Paralympic Games, set to start here on Sept. 7, are in a precarious financial position, with significant budget cuts announced Friday.
“Never before in the 56-year history of the Paralympic Games have we faced circumstances like this,” said Philip Craven, the president of the International Paralympic Committee.
The planned cuts to the Paralympics, the top global competition for disabled athletes, will affect the number of workers, transportation options and sports venues, according to the committee. The number of sports events will not be affected, officials said.
The wheelchair fencing competition, for example, will take place within the Olympic Park, rather than at a special destination location, so that the previously designated location can be “closed and dismantled,” a statement from the committee said.
The cuts came in addition to ones that had…