PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. — The Mets may be without starter Jason Vargas, to begin the season. Vargas, whom the Mets signed to a two-year, $16-million contract last month, will undergo surgery on Tuesday in New York to remove a fractured hamate bone in his right hand, the team said in a statement on Sunday.
Vargas, who throws with his left hand, was hit with a line drive on the base of his right hand when pitching in a minor league spring training game on Friday. Doctors recommended the removal of the broken bone instead of pitching with it.
The Mets said Vargas was expected to resume throwing five days after surgery. Vargas may not miss much time, but he will almost certainly begin the season on the disabled list. The Mets do not need a fifth starter until April 4, the sixth game of the season, which could potentially buy them enough time to have Vargas ready to go.
Vargas, 35, was signed to bring stability to the Mets’…