Rafael Nadal announced Thursday that he would not play Wimbledon as he continues to recover from a left wrist injury that forced him to withdraw from the French Open.
“As you can all imagine, it’s a very tough decision, but the injury I suffered at Roland Garros needs time to heal,” Nadal said in a post on his Facebook page.
Nadal, ranked No. 4, is a two-time Wimbledon champion, but he has not advanced past the fourth round since 2011. This year’s tournament begins June 27.
Nadal stunned the French Open last month when he pulled out of the tournament, before his third-round match, with an inflamed tendon sheath in his left wrist. He said he could no longer hit a topspin forehand, his signature shot, without major pain.
Nadal, who turned 30 last week, has struggled with injuries throughout his career, particularly in his knees. He withdrew from the 2014 United States Open with a right wrist injury.
Nadal said the pain in his left wrist…